NSBM Applications, Handouts, Syllabus
Below are ths school application, resource lists for incoming students, a number of handouts and other information. Feel free to download any and all.
Some of these handouts are occasionally revised. If you have already downloaded them, you may want to check to see if you have the most current copy.
Temporary School Application-as of November 2017 please use this form. Cut and paste it to a dcoument and then email it to 7Songsevensong@gmail.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.
This is the School Application for all Northeast School of Botanical Medicine classes.
- Calamus (Acorus calamus)- A pondside discussion
- Blue vervain (Verbena hastata)- A pondside discussion
- Skullcap as a First Aid Plant
- Eye Cups and Eye Washes in Herbal First Aid
- Botanical Identification Steps
- Plant Phylogeny Chart
- Guidelines for using Newcomb's Wildflower Guide
- Identification of Woody Plants in Winter
- Botany for the Herbalist: Plant Families
- Herbal First Aid for Large Groups
- Herbal First Aid-Protocols, Pain remedies, Wound care, and Street Medicine
- An Herbalist's View-Digestive Problems in First Aid
- An Herbalist's View of the Digestive System-Treatment
- An Herbalist's View-Herbal First Aid-Eye Problems
- An Herbalist's View-Herbal First Aid-Setting Up a First Aid Station
- An Herbalist's View-Herbal First Aid-Soft Tissue Injury
- Herbal First Aid-Wound Care
- First Aid Checklist 2012
- First Aid Checklist for Rainbow Gathering 2016
- First Aid Checklist for RNC 2016
- Principal Plants of Herbal First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid: Pain and Trauma, Food and Water-Borne Illness, Animal Bites and Scratches
- Herbalist's View-Cardiovascular System
- Herbalist's View of the Digestive System
- Herbalists view- Immunity and Lymph
- Herbalists View- Male Health
- Herbalists View- Nervous System
- Herbs for the Respiratory System
- Herbalist's view-Kidneys and Urinary System
- Herbalists View of the Liver
Medicine Preparation and Herbal Pharmacy
- Herbal Formulation for the Practicing Herbalist
- Herbal Pharmacy-Tincture Ratios
- Herbal Pharmacy-Preparing Formulas by Parts
Clinical Skills and Practice
- Herbalist's View-Patient Compliance for the Clinical Herbalist
- Guidelines for Intake
- Herbalistic Practices
Specific Health Issues
- An Herbalist's View-Allergic Reactions
- Herbalist's View-Approaches to Colds and Flus
- Herbalists View- Headaches
- Herbalist's View-Notes on Lyme Disease
- Common Medicinal Plants of the Northeast
- Community Based Herbalism
- Wildcrafting for the Practicing Herbalist
- The Herbalist Street Medic
- The Free Clinic Herbalist
Books, Tools and Equipment lists
These are lists I made for gathering and admiring different plants during the year. Of course this will vary depending on where you live, these cover the Northeast.
These are outlines I made in preparation for presentations and classes. They are here for folks making similar presentations and are looking for outline notes. They are personalized, but can be adopted to your needs.
Note: There is now a calendar on this website under 'Program & Classes'. The calendar has more specific information on dates and classes and will reflect any changes.
- A Patient's Guide to Common Herbal Medicines-Print double-sided, short edge binding.
- A Patient's Guide to Understanding Herbal Medicines-Print as double sided, it is a trifold.
- Practicing as an Herbalist in an Integrative Free Clinic
This is a large file and may take a few minutes to download onto your computer. It will load in 'slide show' format. To navigate the slides, use the arrows on your computer. To get out of it, use the 'esc' button. If you want to see it again, look in your download files, it should be there.
- Principal Plants in Herbal First Aid A simple description of some of the plants I commonly use in first aid.
I made these charts for the Ithaca Free Clinic waiting room. They are set up for quick information for some common health issues, and to make them pretty, they have photos of each of the plants. The 'Notes' handout below is to help flush out details.
- Chart-Herbal Medicines for Anxiety, Depression and Sleep
- Chart-Herbal Medicines for Pain
- Notes-for Common Remedies
Herbal and other Related Articles
This section is to for articles, reviews, reports, and other subjects I've written about that you may find interesting. I've just begun this section and will try to begin posting items soon. Check back from time to time for further developments.
Articles are listed below. If you do not see the information you seek, look in the handouts section. If you have any questions or comments please email me from the contact page.
Botanical Field Guides and Floras
Descriptions and Reviews of Plant Field Guides for Various Regions
I wrote these book reviews upon returning home from plant focused travels. They are personal reports on books comprising mostly technical plant identification manuals and field guides. I originally wrote them more for myself so that I had a record to remind myself which books to bring when I return to a specific region. But perhaps they can be helpful for other folks to add and whittle down their plant identification books before they go on the road.
If you are looking through the below book reports before heading off somewhere, think in terms of the region that you are traveling to. For instance the Colorado book report also has books on its northern neighbor Wyoming, while also including books of the Rocky mountain in general.
Adirondack (New York) Book Report-August 2007
Adirondack (New York) Report 2008-August 2008
Arizona Book Report-March 2005
Arizona Book Report II-March 2006
California Book Report-April 2009
Colorado Book Report-July 2006
Florida Book Report 2005-January 2005
Florida Book Report 2006-January 2006
Florida Book Report 2007-January 2007
Florida Book Report 2009-February 2009
Mississippi (Southern) Book Report-Early Spring 2008
Ohio Book Report-September 2007
Ozarks (MO/AR) Book Report-July 2007
Northwest Book Report-November 2005
Southwest Book Report-March 2004
Washington State Book Report I-August 2005
Washington State Book Report II-April 2006
Western North Carolina Book Report-April 2007
Book Reviews-Not Field Guides
Reading the Forested Landscape-Tom Wessels
Energetics-A Personal Dissection of the Place of Energetics in Herbalism
In the Land of Cadavers - My time at Somanautics, a 6-day intensive Cadaver Dissection Class
Wildcrafting and Medicine Making
Wild Lettuce-Lactuca Tincture Preparation-Instructions on how to make a strong Lactuca Tincture
Personal Plant Adventures
Belloween- A quick adventure with Atropa belladonna
A Piscidia Piscipula Adventure-The Story of finding and gathering Jamaican dogwood in Florida
The Hiccough Story-A satisfying solution to an annoying problem
Stories and Anecdotes from Others (Students, Friends, etc)
Anani's Story (Class of 1998)